Ruins of Adventure
- Races: Human, Elf, Half-elf, Gnome
- Classes: Cleric
- Ability Requirements: Int 14, Wis 9
- Alignments: Lawful or Good
- Starting Cash: By class
- Allowed Priest Kits: Adviser, Chronicler, Moralist, Natural Philosopher, Nobleman Priest, Outlaw Priest, Pacifist Priest, Peasant Priest, Planewalker Priest, Scholar Priest, Shinobi Priest, Shukenja, Totem Sister, Tribal Priest, Wanderer
- Weapon Slots: By class
- Allowed Weapons: As Wizard
- Allowed Armor: Any Armor or Shields
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Categories: By class
- Bonus Proficiencies: Alchemy, Herbalism, Pottery, Religion, Spellcraft
- Required Proficiencies: none
- Recommended Proficiencies: none
- Forbidden Proficiencies: none
- Major: All, Air, Astral, Charm, Creation, Divination, Guardian, Healing, Protection, Travelers
- Special: One Wizard school
- Minor: none
Overview: Magic is a force of great power and presence in the Realms, and Mystra’s clerics watch over the different uses of magic power and prevent magical abuse. Mystra’s clerics keep the balance of magical power, destroy detrimental and cursed magical items, and help mages that are unjustly accused of crimes. Mystra’s clerics are also skilled in the fabrication and identification of potions, salves, ointments, and elixirs.
Description: The traditional garb of Mystra’s clerics are soft midnight blue robes with a silver necklace made of a series of stars strung together that serves as their holy symbol. Due to side effects of long-term alchemical work and exposure to weird substances many of Mystra’s clerics are accompanied by a lingering scent of chemicals and their hair is frizzy, if not burnt in patches.
Role-Playing: Mystra’s clerics embrace a lawful, balanced attitude towards magic. These clerics all have sharp, analytical minds and keen senses; their minds are always working. While well-versed and highly focused on magic, magical theory, and proper use of spells, monitors are quite lacking in social graces. These attributes make the monitors seem brusque and abrupt, offending others around them.
Long-term exposure to alchemical fumes also causes bouts of eccentricity in Mystra’s clerics. Most of the time, this is manifested in extremes of behavior and emotion. Loud clerics talk loudly. Excitable clerics are very excitable, and so on.
- Mystrans have a 5% likelihood per level to identify a potion by just smelling it and a 10% chance per level to identify a potion by one small taste.
- Their base chance of successfully brewing a potion is 85% (rather than the 70% for most spellcasters).
- Mystran clerics can cast identify once a day. However, the Mystrans do not have to actually handle the item in order to successfully identify it; they need only see it. The spell accuracy is 15% per level, with a 99% maximum chance of classifying the item.
- They can also attempt to dispel magic once per day plus one additional casting per day
for every three cleric levels.
- Mystrans can detect magic three times a day.
- Mystran clerics can turn undead, a special boon from Kelemvor, since he and Mystra were allies and friends during their mortal lives.
- Areas of wild magic have no effect on Mystran clerics or their spells.
- When they first begin their careers, clerics of Mystra must select one school of wizard magic. Thereafter, the crusader can gain spells from that school of magic in spell slots as if they were priest spells of the same level. However, he or she still needs to learn the spells from wizards and use a spellbook in prayers to Mystra. He is not bound to paths in the way that a wizard is, and may learn any spell that includes his chosen school (even those that belong to multiple schools) up to the maximum number of spells per level allowed by his Reason score.
- Priests of Mystra can cause their own flesh-all of it, or specific areas, such as a hand-to glow at will with a soft, blue-white radiance. This radiance, known as weaveglow, is enough to read by or to allow the priest to clearly see items and surroundings within 5 feet.
- Clerics of Mystra have a maximum allowable Strength score of 15.
- Given their usual environment of tower laboratories, Mystran clerics are ill-suited for combat and suffer a -2 penalty on attack rolls.
- Certain regions where magic is regulated and restricted (Hillsfar or Mulhorand, for example) have a strong dislike of Mystrans. They see a Mystran cleric as a pesky attorney trying to get arrested mages freed on technicalities in Mystras name. As a result, in magic-hostile areas, these clerics suffer a -2 penalty on interactions with municipal government NPCs.
Return to Religions.