Ruins of Adventure
- Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Strength, -2 Charisma
- Class Level Limits: See Racial Level Limits
- Multi-Class Options: Fighter + any one non-warrior, or Thief + any one non-rogue
- Height (M/F): 58 in / 56 in + 1d12
- Weight (M/F): 130 lbs / 90 lbs +6d10
- Starting: 10 +1d4 years
- Middle/Old/Venerable: 17 / 23 / 35
- Maximum: 35 +1d10 years
- Bonus Languages: Daraktan
- Recommended Languages: Common, Espruar, Dethek, Chuklian, Jogishk, Undercommon
- Movement: 12
- Thief Skills:
- Pick Pockets: -5%
- Open Locks: —
- Find/Remove Traps: —
- Move Silently: —
- Hide in Shadows: +5%
- Detect Noise: +5%
- Climb Walls: +5%
- Read Languages: -10%
- Special Abilities:
- Orcs have infravision to a range of 60 feet.
- Orcs are skilled miners. They gain the following bonus “Detection Proficiencies”. See the entry for dwarves for details on detection proficiencies.
- Detect grade or slope in passage: Wis +4
- Detect new tunnel/passage construction: Wis +4
- In addition to weapons, an orc can bite with its powerful jaws for 1d3 damage. Orcs consider it to be especially glorious to kill an enemy with their teeth, and will often finish off wounded foes with a savage bite.
- Due to racial enmity, Orcs receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against Elves.
- Special Restrictions:
- Orcs fight with a -1 penalty to their attack rolls and morale when in direct sunlight.
Background: Orcs look like primitive humans with gray-green skin and coarse hair. They stoop slightly, have low jutting foreheads, snouts, canine-like teeth, and short pointed earn. The average orc stands between 5½ and 6 feet tall.
Orcs are aggressive humanoids that live in tribal societies. They band together to hunt and raid, believing that to survive they must expand their territory. This need to expand puts them in a constant state of war with humans, elves, dwarves, goblins, and even other orc tribes. Orc communities are usually found underground, but wilderness villages do exist. These lairs are protected by the best defenses the orcs can invent or steal. Some of these communities are built around active mines. All make use of slave labor.
The orc mentality views aggression as the natural order. They believe that other races are inferior to them, and bully weaker creatures. Enslaved orcs will rebel at the first opportunity. When allied with others, orcs are quick to take offense and break agreements. To orcs, the greatest challenge they can set for themselves is the test of battle. They value territory above all else, though they also take great pride in battle experience and prowess, wealth, and lots of offspring. Orc society is male dominated; females exist to bear young. Though carnivorous, orcs prefer game meats or livestock to intelligent races.