Ruins of Adventure
- Races: Any, Females only
- Classes: Cleric
- Ability Requirements: Str 12, Wis 9
- Alignments: Non-Evil
- Starting Cash: By class
- Allowed Priest Kits: Adviser, Animal Priestess, Avenger, Barbarian Priest, Crafts Priest, Guardian, Halfling Oracle, Healer, Natural Philosopher, Nobleman Priest, Oracle, Outlaw Priest, Peasant Priest, Poro, Priest Defender, Prophet Priest, Scholar Priest, Shinobi Priest, Shukenja, Skinwalker, Sohei, Stridesman, Totem Sister, Tribal Priest, Wanderer, War Priest, Wise Woman
- Weapon Slots: By class
- Allowed Weapons: Any Bludgeoning
- Allowed Armor: Any Armor or Shields
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Categories: General, Priest, Warrior
- Bonus Proficiencies: Blind-Fighting, Healing, Herbalism, Religion
- Required Proficiencies: none
- Recommended Proficiencies: Astrology, Navigation
- Forbidden Proficiencies: none
- Major: As Cleric
- Minor: As Cleric
Overview: Selûne, goddess of the moon, enjoys a vast variety of worshipers. The clerics of Selune are intimately tied to Selûne and her power. The function of the clerics of Selune is to act as healers, defenders of women and lycanthropes, midwives, and diviners. In addition, it is each cleric’s mission to defend the church against attacks from Shar and, if neccessary, carry the battle to the dark goddess’ doorstep. With all these responsibilities, they are kept quite busy.
Description: All clerics of Selune are female. The clerics wear robes made of silver threads and silk or satin and top them with white cloaks and hoods. Chain or Splint mail is the favored armor under a cleric’s robes. A smooth-headed mace called the “moon’s hand” is the preferred weapon.
Role-Playing: The clerics of Selune are a highly militant group of soldier-priests that bear a strong hatred of Shar and her minions. Although they are happy and jovial during times of celebration, this rapidly gives way to fury and bloodlust when an enemy of the church is near.
Most clerics of Selune have strong sympathetic feelings towards lycanthropes, especially contrite, infected ones. They are also very suspicious of cities, nations, or cultures where women are treated as second-class citizens or as property. These clerics find special satisfaction in hunting down men who cheat, harass, abandon, or persecute women and forcing the men to somehow compensate their victims. Clerics of Selune have been known to react violently to seeing any man exploit a woman, sometimes causing quite a public commotion and making themselves unwelcome in cities where certain reprehensible practices, such as slavery, are still quite legal.
Because of their visions of the future and their love of moonlit night, clerics of Selune always seem slightly out of step with normal society. They seem to be preoccupied with something intangible, and find it hard to worry about present-day concerns, a behavior which frustrates people around them.
- All clerics of Selûne are immune to lycanthropy.
- During the three days of the full moon each month, a cleric of Selune temporarily gains one level, with all the commensurate benefits of that level (additional hit dice, improved attacks and saving throws, additional spells, etc).
- Clerics of Selune can turn undead, and during the full moon the clerics turn undead as if they were two levels higher rather than just one.
- Once a month, during the full moon, a cleric of Selune can attempt to tell one person’s future. This future is limited to events of the next month. When each cleric starts her career, she must choose a method of divining from the following: cards, tea leaves, the stars, bone-tossing, scrying pool, or dice. The base chance of divination is 40% plus 2% per level of the cleric. The effects of this divination, no matter what form it takes, are identical to those of the 4th-level priest spell divination, though the foretold events are beyond the one-week limit of that normal spell.
- Clerics of Selune can see perfectly well in the dark as if they had infravision.
- During the three days of the new moon, a cleric of Selune temporarily loses a level, with all the resultant effects. The clerics are incapable of turning undead at this time as well.
- Clerics of Selune suffer a -1 penalty to all rolls when fighting under a new moon (this stacks with any reduction in abilities from the lost level).
- Clerics of Selune can never cast any spell, or use any magic item, that results in darkness.
- Only females may be clerics of Selûne. However, their duties impose no restrictions on their romantic relationships. There are many married clerics still dedicated to Selûne.
Return to Religions.