Ruins of Adventure
Valerius Martialis Nerva
Appearance: Brown eyes, Brown hair (military crew cut), Clean shaven, Unit serial number (CMXLVII) tattooed on back of neck
Age: 22 years
Height: 5 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 172 lbs.
Valerius is an mid-level intelligence operative in the Red Plumes special detachment assigned to defend New Phlan. While he spends most of his time on guard duty with the rest of his company, his status as an intelligence officer allows him the freedom to come and go as he pleases to investigate possible threats to the Phlan, Hillsfar, or the Red Plumes themselves.
A constant joker, even when on assignment he can’t help but make snarky comments to relieve the tension.
Alignment: Non-Chaotic, Non-Good
Religion: The Blessed Afflictor
Experience: 30,793 (ready to level)
Next Level: 20,000
Max Level: Unlimited
|Con||9||Health||13||85% System Shock|
|Fitness||4||45% Resurrection||-1hp / level|
|Wis||15||Intuition||14||+5% earned XP|
|Willpower||16||+2 Mental saves|
|Cha||11||Leadership||8||3 henchmen||-1 Loyalty|
|Appearance||14||+2 NPC reactions|
- Initiative: +0
- Surprise: -1 (with Helm on)
- NPC Reaction: +0 (-2 vs. Non-humans)
- Movement: 9
Hit Points: 15
Armor Class: 16 (chainmail) or 12 (light leather)
Base Attack Bonus: +2
- Paralyzation/Poison/Death: 13
- Rod/Staff/Wand: 14
- Petrification/Polymorph: 12
- Breath Weapon: 16
- Spells: 14
|Weapons||# Att||Att Bonus||Dmg||Dmg (L)||Speed||Range||Special|
|Shield Bash||+1/round||+0||1d3||1d3||3||melee|| Off-hand.
Chance to Knock-down target if moving at least 10-ft.
|Shield Smite||+1/round||+0||1d4||1d4||3||melee|| Requires proficiency check.
Stun target for 1d4-1 rounds.
|Harness Knife||1/round||+2||1d2||1||1||melee||emergency backup only|
Thief Skills: (in chainmail)
|Pick Pockets||45% (0%)||Hide in Shadows||35% (0%)|
|Back Protection||65%||Hear Noise||30% (15%)|
|Detect Illusions||65%||Climb Walls||60% (35%)|
|Move Silently||55% (5%)||RL||30%|
Non-Weapon Proficiencies: General, Rogue, Warrior
|Modern Languages (Common)||12||Blind-Fighting||N/A|
|Modern Languages (Tharian)||12||Running||2|
|Modern Languages (Daraktan)||12||Hiding||11|
|Detect Signing||13||Body Language||13|
Weapon and Shield Style, Specialized
Blades Broad Group
- Hillsfar natives can come and go from Hillsfar at will.
- The people of Hillsfar get a +1 bonus on saving throws versus spells.
- Back Protection: Because of their constant alertness, a spy has a chance of detecting an attack from behind, made by any character or creature. If the spy successfully detects the attack, he avoids it. Additionally, the spy is entitled to counter-attack the attacker immediately, even if the spy already attacked that turn.
- Detect illusion: Spies, masters of deception themselves, can see through visible illusions within their line of sight, up to 90 feet away. They perceive the illusion as a translucent image, seeing through it as though it were a light mist. The more real the illusion, the more solid the image. For example, phantasmal force would be totally translucent, while a simulacrum would be mostly solid. Demishadow monsters would be somewhere in between the two. Invisibility and other nonvisible effects cannot be discerned.
Detection is not automatic, and the spy must spend a round concentrating on the area of effect to discover its illusionary qualities. Knowing that something is an illusion is not necessarily a fail-safe defense against illusionary magic, such as in the case of a simulacrum.
- Backstab: When attacking someone by surprise and from behind, a spy can improve his chance to successfully hit (+4 modifier for rear attack and negate the target’s shield and Dexterity bonuses) and deal 4x normal damage with the blow. The multiplier applies only to the base damage of the weapon before modifiers for Strength or magical bonuses are added. The weapon’s standard damage is multiplied. Then Strength and magical weapon bonuses are added.
To use this ability, the spy must be behind his victim and the victim must be unaware that the spy intends to attack him. If an enemy sees the spy, hears him approach from a blind side, or is warned by another, he is not caught unaware, and the backstab is handled like a normal attack (although bonuses for a rear attack still apply). Opponents in battle will often notice a spy trying to maneuver behind them—the first rule of fighting is to never turn your back on an enemy! However, someone who isn’t expecting to be attacked (a friend or ally, perhaps) can be caught unaware even if he knows the spy is behind him.
|Psychic Messenger||Telepathy||4||4||3/round||Create a 3D projection of himself anywhere within 200 miles. He can speak through the projection for the duration. Communication is one-way, and he cannot perceive what is happening at the destination.|
- Zhentilar and Mulman warriors attack Hillsfarrans on sight.
- All NPC encounters are penalized at -2 due to Hillsfar’s reputation. This increases to -4 against non-humans due to Hillsfar’s reputation for xenophobia, bigotry, and exploitation.
- Shinobi wizards (including rogues able to cast wizard spells), treat their Reason scores as 2 points lower for determining their maximum spell level and maximum number of spells per level.
- Armor Allowed: Chainmail or lighter, plus shields.
- Weapons Allowed: Any weapons.
- Gain 40 points per level to spend on Thief Skills.
- Increase Backstab multiplier to 4x at 5th level, 5x at 9th level, and 6x at 13th level.
- Spies do not typically build citadels the way fighters and other classes do. At 10th level, the spy achieves the rank of a group leader within his organization. The organization’s leaders assign the spy 2d6 followers who are members of the organization.
- Ring of Shooting Stars
- Chainmail (40 lbs) w/ Red-Plumed Open-faced Helmet (7 lbs)
- Light Leather Armor (5 lbs, worn underneath, for use in stealth missions)
- Silk Shirt, Tunic, Breeches, Drawers, Stockings (underlayer)
- Footpad’s Boots
- Shield Harness
- Medium Shield (10 lbs)
- Leather Baldric & Scabbard
- Scimitar (4 lbs)
- Shortsword (3 lbs)
- Wilderness Harness (1 lb, w/ Harness Knife)
Base Speed: 12
Total Weight of Gear: 71 lbs. (light)
|Weight||0 – 45 lbs.||46-76 lbs.||77-108 lbs.||109-139 lbs.||140-169 lbs.||170 lbs|