Ruins of Adventure
- Name: Cyric
- Portfolio: The Sun, Heat, Light, Blindness, Deserts, Kings, Tyrants, Murder, Cancer
- Titles: The Dark Sun, The Merciless, Keeper of the Eternal Sun, Lord of Three Crowns, That Burning Ball of Death in the Sky, The One, The Only
- Symbols: A white skull sans jawbone on a golden sunburst; A solar disk of any kind; A lidless eye wreathed in flame; Three black crowns on a gold field
- Worshipper Alignments: Any
- Core Doctrine: As surely as the sun rises, so shall Cyric.
- Death to traitors.
- Death to all who oppose Cyric.
- Walk proudly in the light of your faith.
- Teach all to bow down before the power of Cyric.
- Blind the infidel, that he might see only Cyric.
- Do all things beneath the light of his burning eye.
- Acknowledging any god but Cyric.
- Hiding your faith.
- Hiding your intentions.
- Hiding your actions.
- Allied Faiths: none
- Enemy Faiths: Everyone, but especially Kelemvor, Mask, Mystra, and Shar
- Pesudonyms: Bhaal (historic), Diinkarazan (among Dwarves), N’asr (in Aunauroch), Lathander (historic), Amaunator (in ancient Netheril and Nog), At’ar (in Aunauroch), Horus (in Mulhorand), Stronmaus (among Firbolgs)
- Races: Any
- Classes: Cleric
- Ability Requirements: Muscle 12
- Alignments: Any
- Starting Cash: By class
- Weapon Slots: 2 slots, no additional
- Allowed Weapons: Longsword, Dagger
- Allowed Armor: Chainmail or lighter, Any shields
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: Longsword, Dagger
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Groups: Spiritual, Martial, and Larceny
- Bonus Proficiencies: Artistic Ability, Inquisitor, Fire-building, Religion
- Required Proficiencies: none
- Recommended Proficiencies: none
- Forbidden Proficiencies: none
- Major: All, Charm, Combat, Guardian, Law, Necromantic, Summoning, Sun
- Minor: Earth, Fire
Overview: Once known as The Dark Sun and hailed as the god of madness and deceit, following the murder of Lathandar that sparked the Fourth Gods’ War, Cyric has become the one true god of the sun. Representing the true, blazing horror that is the light of day, Cyric watches from on high, spreading death and misery with his burning gaze. His clergy delight in their gods new power and spread the word of supremacy openly throughout the Realms.
Description: The clerics of Cyric are always ready to spread pain and misery of all kinds. They are thus always clad in either chain, splint, or plate armor. They carry only long swords and daggers. Bright tabards in yellows, reds, and pinks, embroidered with Cyric’s symbol complete the cleric’s uniforms. There is always an air of tension around the clerics, as if they, like the Sun itself, are waiting for the slightest excuse to kill someone. This is not too far from the truth when dealing with a cleric of Cyric.
Role-Playing: Clerics of Cyric love praise, pomp, and ceremony; and like the blazing sun, care little for subtlety. As guardians of the faith, these clerics are stubbornly loyal to Cyric. These clerics are happy keeping the doctrine pure by means of discourse and violence. The hatred of the good religions bums so brightly in the hearts of the clerics of Cyric that they will attack anyone outright who wears a symbol of another god. To them, the worship of Cyric is the One True Faith, and all other gods and their worshipers must die. Death, destruction, and discord are the meat and drink of the clerics, and they love their work.
Because of their god’s love of praise and ostentation, each cleric of Lathander also has an artistic talent of some sort. This can be painting, sculpting, singing, poetry, or any art medium, so long as it used to honor Cyric and Cyric alone.
- Clerics of Cyric can command undead.
- Any undead created or commanded by a cleric of Cyric is immune to any negative effects of sunlight (including spells like Sunray).
- When battling an enemy who visibly wears the holy symbol of any other deity, the cleric of Cyric gains a +1 to his attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.
- If he sleeps for at least four hours during the night, an injured cleric of Cyric will always awaken exactly at dawn with 2 hit points restored per cleric level.
- Once per week, a cleric of 5th level or higher can animate a human skull for a period of eight hours per level of the priest. This skull has the hit dice, hit points, and intelligence of the cleric. The skull always hovers about one foot away from the cleric at the height of the cleric’s shoulder, shouting the praises of Cyric. The skull has an armor class of 16 and can either bite (1d4 points of damage) or let out a piercing shriek that acts as confusion spell. The latter attack form can only be done twice a day.
- Clerics of Cyric are severely limited in their weaponry. They are allowed to use only long swords and daggers and nothing else. They do not gain any additional weapon proficiency slots after 1st level.
- Given their god’s dark nature, and the open murder of Lathander, clerics of Cyric are openly reviled throughout the Realms, though fear of the Sun God’s power keeps that hatred in check. A cleric of Cyric never rolls for NPC reactions, but treats all reactions with those that do not worship Cyric as a result of “threatening”.
Return to Religions.