Ruins of Adventure
- Name: Gaknulak
- Allegiance: Unaligned
- Portfolio: Protection, Stealth, Trickery, Traps, Invention, Cowardice, Kobolds
- Titles: The Cunning, The Trapmaker, The Fortifier, The Cowardly, The Gnome-Crusher
- Symbols: A white cauldron; A swirling white elipse; A gnomish skull
- Worshiper Alignments: LN, LE, TN, NE, CN, CE
Core Doctrine: A quick wit and a good trap, are better weapons than any spear.
- Bravery and courage are overrated.
- Never engage in a battle you cannot win.
- Defense of the tribe and lair is paramount.
- Always have an escape plan and a swift exit ready.
- Always remember an insult and pay it back twice over.
- Engaging in anything resembling a fair fight.
- Sleeping in a space not protected by at least one trap.
- Allowing enemies to invade your tribe’s home unhindered.
- Allowing a gnome to live (save when the only option is a fair fight).
- Allied Faiths: Mask, Meriadar
- Enemy Faiths: Armok, Bargrivyek, Gond
- Pseudonyms: Dakarnok (in the south), Kurtulmak (historic)
- Races: Kobolds
- Classes: Cleric
- Ability Requirements: Reason 13
- Alignments: Non-Good
- Starting Cash: By class
- Weapon Slots: By class
- Allowed Weapons: Blowgun, Dagger, Dart, Hand Axe, Hand Crossbow, Sling, Spear
- Allowed Armor: Leather armor, no shields
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Non-weapon Slots: By class, +2 slots
- Available Categories: Spiritual, Larceny, and Craft
- Bonus Proficiencies: Defensive Tactics, Fast-Talking, Sabotage, Trap Setting
- Required Proficiencies: Religion
- Recommended Proficiencies: Alertness, Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Ceremony, Chicanery, Cryptography, Dirty Fighting, Disarm Traps, Engineering, Escape, Excavations, Fey Lore, Find Traps, Hiding, Literacy, Looting, Mining, Omen Reading, Quick Tongue, Rope Use, Somatic Concealment, Spellcraft.
- Forbidden Proficiencies: none
- Major: All, Animal, Creation, Guardian, Protection, Summoning, Sun, Water
- Minor: Divination, Fire
Overview: Gaknulak is the kobold god of trickery, ambushing, and setting traps. He is a highly intelligent and sneaky deity with a magical cauldron from which he pulls all manner of tools, unpredictable minor magic items, and other diverse resources for the ingenious. He is a deity who protects and defends his worshipers, and teaches them practical trickery. He is a supreme pragmatist, and in this way is a lawful trickster.
Gaknulak is a pragmatic deity who does his best to achieve his ends through practical innovation. He is the closest any goblinoid deity gets to an inventive, creative god. The gods of war and pragmatism sometimes conflict, but when they get together the dangerousness of the goblin and kobold races belies their diminutive size.
Gaknulak’s omens are subtle and hard to decipher, challenging his priests to understand or perceive them: a subtly triggered defensive trap, misplaced tools or everyday items, and weapons or clothing subtly rearranged.
Description: Priests of Gaknulak bleach their fur white, in imitation of their god. They otherwise dress in practical clothing, favoring large, billowing cloaks and garments with many pockets and pouches for storing tools. On strictly ceremonial occasions, the priests wear bright orange robes.
Role-Playing: Gaknulak’s priests are spies and scouts. They are experts in setting traps and ambushes of all kinds, and in the construction of defenses. They are defenders of lairs and homelands above all else. These priests strive to unite kobolds and undertake tasks of defense, war, mining, and underground exploration—all preferably well planned and with large forces of kobolds (their is strength in numbers).
- Clerics of Gaknulak can use wizard spells from the Illusion school as if they were priest spells of the same level. They pray for these spells normally and do not need to learn them individually. This ability only applies to spells that are entirely Illusion, they cannot use spells that belong to other schools.
- At 6th level, a Cleric of Gaknulak can a brew potion related to stealth, escape, or detection (such as potions of invisibility, speed, or magic detection) with perfect success, using only the most basic of materials, once per month. The brewing process takes a week, during which the priest cannot leave the potion alone for more than 10 hours at a time or it is ruined.
- At 7th level, a Cleric of Gaknulak can cast Enlarge on himself once per day. This always increases the priest to 200% normal size, regardless of his level. Any gnome or faerie creature (sprites, brownies, pixies, etc.) within 20 feet of the transformation is affected as if by a Cause Fear spell (save vs. spells negates).
- Like all goblinoid deities, Priests of Gaknulak cannot turn undead.
Return to Religions.