Ruins of Adventure
- Name: Ghaunadaur
- Allegiance: Gods of Disaster
- Portfolio: Elemental Forces, Eternal Darkness, Abominations, Oozes, Slimes, Disease, Decay, Poison, Malign Knowledge, Insanity, Rebellion, Patron of Outcasts
- Titles: The Elder Eye, The Elder Elemental God, The Elder Elemental Eye, That Which Lurks, The Lord of Slime, The Ancient One, The Chained God, The Lord of Slime, The First Malady, The Great Affliction, The Returned, The Breaker of Chains
- Symbols: An inverted triangle bisected by a ‘Y’; A purple eye; A spiral of tentacles; An arc of six downward-pointing arrows; A broken chain
- Worshiper Alignments: TN, NE, CN, CE
Core Doctrine: Now is the beginning of the end!
- Blood to the Ancient One, that his power may grow!
- Light must be snuffed, perfection decayed, order dissolved, and minds fragmented!
- Some insane, mindless gibbering that not even the faithful understand…
- Repairing or restoring anything (including yourself).
- Making, building, or creating anything.
- Going too long without offering up sacrifices (no one is sure how long is too long).
- Allied Faiths: Armok, Beshaba, Duvan’Ku, Talos, Tempus
- Enemy Faiths: Literally everyone else who does not want the universe destroyed.
- Pesudonyms: Akadi (among Air priests), Etugen (in Rashamen), Falazure (among Dragons), Grumbar (among Earth priests), Fenmarel Mestarine (among Elves), Istishia (among Water priests), Kossuth (among Fire priests), Moander (historic), Tharizdun (historic), Talona (historic), Gormauth Souldrinker (historic), Juiblex (historic)
- Races: Any
- Classes: Cleric (Idol Priest only)
- Ability Requirements: Intuition 12, Health 14
- Alignments: Neutral Evil
- Starting Cash: by class
- Weapon Slots: By class
- Allowed Weapons: By class
- Allowed Armor: By class
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Groups: Spiritual, Detection, and Sorcerous
- Bonus Proficiencies: Blind-Fighting, Chaos Shaping, Religion
- Required Proficiencies: Survival (Underdark)
- Recommended Proficiencies: As Idol Priest
- Forbidden Proficiencies: As Idol Priest
Overview: The uncaring Elder Elemental Eye is something of a mystery. Even the creator gods will not speak to their most senior priests of it, but it is known to be banished to a unique demiplane, to be constantly struggling for release, and desperate to gain power from rituals and obeisances carried out on the material plane. A large number of Idol Priests, already known to worship pre-historic elemental beings, are actually priests of the Elder Elemental God.
Priests of the Elder Elemental God bend all their being into revering the god and attempting to locate and enact the rituals which will draw his power into the Material plane. They make many sacrifices of sentient beings to this end, including members of their own cults and even themselves if demanded. They locate lost shrines of the Elder God and cleanse them, re-dedicating them to the service of the deity. The priests typically choose to focus their reverence on a specific elemental aspect of their god.
Lathander, the Morninglord, was long known to keep charge of the chains that bound the prison of Ghaunadaur, the Ancient One, what few knew, however, was that that prison lay in the space between the Sun and the Moon. With the death of his warden fell conveniently on the day when his prison was the weakest, the Chained God burst his prison and spilled back into the greater cosmos.
Now all of his will is bent on awakening his counterpart Duvan’Ku and bringing about the end of all things…
Description: The vestments of all priests of the Elder Elemental God must be of hues pleasing to the Elder Eye. Typical raiment includes a full-length robe with voluminous sleeves, a dark tabard emblazoned with the symbol of the Elder Eye, and a gleaming, silver skull cap. All priests wear their hair long and unbound, but beards and mustaches are not permitted. The holy symbol of the faith is a sphere of black obsidian at least 3 inches in diameter, which is sometimes worn on a chain around the neck. Such spheres are often enveloped in a nimbus of mauve-hued continual faerie fire.
Role-Playing: Any living creature-even oozes and jellies-may join the clergy of the Elder Eye, as the Elder God values devotion over ability. The faithful of the Elder Elemental God are to make sacrifices to the Eye, persuade others to sacrifice themselves in service of the Eye, further the knowledge and fear of the Eye, and in the end give themselves to the Elder Elemental God in unresisting self-sacrifice. The priests are to convert all beings that they can to the worship of the Eye. They must slay all clergy of other faiths, plundering their temples and holdings for wealth to better their own lot and to further the worship of their god.
Priests of the Elder Elemental Eye must do whatever pleases their god best and serve the Eye absolutely. The priests have simple duties: They are to ensure, by force or threat, that a ready supply of sacrifices reaches the Elder God’s altars. The god supplies them with spells and tentacle rods to ensure success in this. Most of all, the Elder Elemental God delights in creatures that offer themselves to him without resistance (regardless of whether these sacrifices have been magically charmed or otherwise coerced by its clergy). Priests who can bring such offerings to the Eye’s altars often are highly valued and favored by the god. The priests are encouraged to become familiar with the use and manufacture of acids, poisons (including gases and incenses), and flaming oils of all sorts. Temples and priestly abodes are typically well supplied with such weapons in a ready state.
- Priests of the Elder Eye gain a +1 bonus on saving throws against all Elemental spells.
- Priests of the Elder Eye are immune to diseases, even magically induced ones.
- Priests of the Elder Eye can Command Undead as a cleric of equal level.
- At 5th level, Priests of the Elder Eye may cast Protection from Good 10-ft. Radius once per day.
- Priests of the Elder Eye may not be multi-classed character.
- Priests of the Elder Eye must be Idol Priests. They gain all of the abilities and have all of the restrictions of Idol Priests, except where specified here.
- Priests of the Elder Eye may only cast reversed forms of spells from the Sun sphere (where available).
Return to Religions.