Ruins of Adventure
- Ability Score Adjustment: +1 Dexterity, -1 Strength, -1 Constitution
- Class Level Limits: See Racial Level Limits
- Multi-Class Options: Thief + any one
- Height (M/F): 32 in / 30 in + 2d6
- Weight (M/F): 52 lbs / 48 lbs +5d4
- Starting: 16 + 2d4 years
- Middle/Old/Venerable: 49 / 65 / 98
- Maximum: 98 + 3d20
- Bonus Languages: Luiric, Yip Yak
- Recommended Languages: Common, Chuklian, Daraktan, Dethek, Espruar, Gnim
- Movement: 6
- Thief Skills:
- Pick Pockets: +5%
- Open Locks: +2%
- Find/Remove Traps: +2%
- Move Silently: +7%
- Hide in Shadows: +12%
- Detect Noise: +7%
- Climb Walls: -15%
- Read Languages: -7%
- Special Abilities:
- Kobbits have infravision to a range of 45 feet.
- By nature, kobbits are nonmagical this gives a bonus to kobbits’ saving throws against attacks from magical wands, staves, rods, and spells. This bonus is +1 for every 6 points of Health score. Similarly, kobbits have exceptional resistance to toxic substances. All kobbit characters make saving throws against poison with the same bonuses that they get against magical attacks.
- A kobbit can gain a bonus to surprise opponents, but only if the kobbit is not in metal armor. Even then, the kobbit must either be alone, or with a party comprised only of characters with similar abilities (such as elves, bugbears, or other halflings), or 90 feet or more away from his party to gain this bonus. If he fulfills any of these conditions, he causes a -2 penalty to opponents’ surprise rolls. If a door or other screen must be opened, this penalty is reduced to -1.
- Traps set by a Kobbit impose a -2% penalty per level of the Kobbit to an opponent’s Find Traps roll. The opponent’s chance to remove a trap once found is not penalized.
- Unless kobbit characters display special capabilities, intelligent and powerful opponents are likely to attack them last of all.
- Because of their burrowing tendencies, kobbits gain the following bonus “Detection Proficiencies”. See the entry for dwarves for details on detection proficiencies.
- Detect grade or slope in passage: Wis +4
- Determine direction underground: Wis
- Special Restrictions:
- Kobbits are small-sized. They cannot use Large-sized weapons and must wield Medium-sized weapons in two hands.
- As small-sized creatures, kobbits have 2/3 the carrying capacity of a human of equal strength.
- Bright light hurts kobbits’ eyes, giving them a -1 penalty to their attack rolls when in direct sunlight.
Background: Halflings are short, generally plump people, very much like small humans. Their faces are round and broad and often quite florid. Their hair is typically curly and the tops of their feet are covered with coarse hair. They prefer not to wear shoes whenever possible. Their typical life expectancy is approximately 150 years.