Ruins of Adventure
- Races: Any
- Sub-Classes: Bard, Lone Wolf, or Shadow Walker1
- Ability Requirements: Knowledge 14, Intuition 14
- Alignments: Any
- Starting Cash: By class
1 This kit is also available to Thieves or Spies that dual-class or multi-class as a mage or specialist wizard.
- Weapon Slots: By class
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Allowed Weapons: Blowgun, Dagger, Dart, Hand Crossbow, Knife, Quarterstaff, Slings group
- Allowed Armors: Leather, no shields
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Categories: By class, plus Academic
- Bonus Non-weapon Proficiencies: Ancient History, Ancient Languages, Literacy, Runecraft
- Required Proficiencies: none
- Recommended Proficiencies: Animal Lore, Arcanology, Artistic Ability, Astrology, Occult Lore, Direction Sense, Dragon Lore, Engineering, Etiquette, Fey Lore, Folklore, Geology, Genie Lore, Heraldry, Languages (modern), Local History, Musical Instrument, Necrology, Numerology, Planes Lore, Planetology, Planology, Psychology, Religion, Screed Lore, Spellcraft, Spirit Lore, Toxicology, Undead Lore, Weather Sense.
- Forbidden Proficiencies: none
Overview: Lore masters are romantically entranced by the past. They believe in the circular nature of history and relate the lessons of ancient times to the problems of the present to help guide their people along the path to the future. As Lore masters proceed through life, they record the events of their own times for posterity.
Lore masters love to relate the lessons of history to those who will listen. However, they are often viewed as being more reclusive and eccentric than wizards. Their preoccupation with old tomes, arcane lore, ancient languages, and lost civilizations dominates their lives, when they aren’t putting on an oratorical performance. From their research, Lore masters gain unique wisdom and insight, allowing them to identify certain magical items, understand ancient writings and languages, gain special benefits in the arcane lore of magic, and incite crowds to action.
Description: Lore masters spend their time studying arcane tomes and ancient civilizations. They do not bother to practice the use of heavy armor. Thus Lore masters can use only leather armor. Lore masters generally dress and act much like the stereotypical wizard.
Role-Playing: There is a fine line between Lore master and sage. So fine that many Lore masters call themselves sages and are rarely questioned about it. However, true sages are knowledge specialists who concentrate their efforts into mastering a specific field such as mushrooms, elven swords, and so on. Lore masters are fond of any aspect of history that makes a good story.
Many Lore masters are travelers who wander the lands searching for great historical tales and facts to relate to crowds. In order to gain the substance of their tales, Lore masters often take up adventuring. Unlike many other adventurers, Lore masters are not simply seeking gold or magic. Rather, they are searching for a new legend or tale. Lore masters are the first to open old tomes, read the runes on passage walls, and record the general events of an adventure.
- Through their devoted study of the past, Lore masters come across numerous texts on the arcane lore of magic. They read all of these, hoping that some great tale will be uncovered. Lore masters eventually gain a fundamental understanding of many strange magical items. Thus, Lore masters can attempt to use any magical item (regardless of class restrictions). A Intuition check is rolled; if it is successful, the Lore master successfully uses the magical item in question. This does not mean that the Lore master fully understands the operation of the item, only that his attempt to use it in this particular way is successful.
- Lore masters also pore over scrolls and spell books whenever they get the chance. This enhances their understanding of magical spells so much that they memorize and cast spells as if they were one level higher.
- Lore masters are highly restricted in their choice of weapons and armor compared to other rogues (see above).
Return to Rogue Kits