Ruins of Adventure
- Races: Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Hobgoblin, or Orc
- Sub-Classes: Any Priest
- Ability Requirements: None
- Alignments: Any
- Starting Cash: By class
- Weapon Slots: By class
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: Any Hammer
- Allowed Weapons: Any (stone heads only)
- Allowed Armors: Non-metal armor and shields
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Groups: By class, plus Detection
- Bonus Non-weapon Proficiencies: Detect Pits and Deadfalls, Determine Depth Underground
- Required Proficiencies: none
- Recommended Proficiencies: Ancient History, Appraising, Burial Customs, Chanting, Engineering, Excavations, Gem Cutting, Geology, Mining, Modern Languages, Mountaineering, Planar Sense, Planar Survival (plane of earth), Prospecting, Slow Respiration, Sound Analysis, Spelunking, Stonemasonry, Underground Navigation.
- Forbidden Proficiencies: Armorer, Blacksmithing, Metalworking, Smelting, Weaponsmiting.
Priest Spheres: These replace the standard spheres for the priest’s class.
- Major: By class, plus Elemental (earth)
- Minor: By class
Overview: This underground-dwelling priest is a specialist in understanding and relating to the fundamental powers of stone and rock. Most Rocktenders are svirfneblin gnomes; though a few may be found among any of the subteranean races. They venerate not the deities of earth and stone but the very rock itself, which they conceive of as a beneficent, living entity. Rocktenders are not averse to mining and excavation but strive to ensure that such activities are carried out with appropriate reverence.
Description: The Rocktender will never use metallic weapons, preferring hammers and clubs with stone heads, slings with stone bullets, and spears or arrows with flint or obsidian tips. Similarly, he or she will not wear metal armor nor carry a metallic shield, but can use a wooden shield and leather, bone, or hide armor.
Role-Playing: The Rocktender is a priest literally in touch with the world around him or her. While active in the community, a Rocktender spends much of his or her time alone, inspecting, studying, and meditating upon the strong bedrock of the world. He or she is keenly in tune with that rock, even to the point of being able to predict earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, and becomes a master at the working of stone into useful or beautiful shapes.
- Because of his or her intuitive link with the surrounding stone, a Rocktender can become aware of impending rock-based convulsions before they occur using his Detect Pits and Deadfalls proficiency. These include rockfalls, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions. On a successful check, premonitions of the disaster force their way into his or her consciousness providing 1-12 hours of warning for quakes and eruptions or 1-6 hours of warning before a rockslide or collapse of stonework.
- If a Rocktender summons an earth elemental using a spell or magic item, he or she will always get the largest possible type with maximum hit points for its size, and the elemental will be exceptionally loyal to the Rocktender, gaining +1 to its morale for every 3 levels of the Rocktender (round down).
- A Rocktender can only cast spells or use one of his or her special abilities when he or she is in direct contact with unhewn rock.
Return to Priest Kits