Ruins of Adventure
- Races: Any
- Sub-Classes: Any Wizard (must be a Dual-class or Multi-class warrior)
- Ability Requirements: Muscle 13, Fitness 13, Reason 14
- Alignments: Any
- Starting Cash: 2d4 x10 gp
- Weapon Slots: +1 slot
- Bonus Weapon Proficiencies: One Bow, One Sword
- Required Weapon Proficiencies: none
- Allowed Weapons: Axes Group, Bows Group, Blades Group (broad), and Lances Group
- Allowed Armors: Elven Chain only, No shields
- Non-weapon Slots: By class
- Available Categories: By class, plus Martial
- Bonus Non-weapon Proficiencies: Magical Tactics, Offensive Tactics, Spellcraft, Survival
- Required Proficiencies: none
- Recommended Proficiencies: Ancient Languages, Animal Handling, Battle Command, Blind-Fighting, Concentration, Defensive Tactics, Direction Sense, Dodge, Endurance, Engineering, Heraldry, Land-based Riding, Mountaineering, Naval Combat, Quick Tongue, Raise Army, Running, Swimming, Weapon Sharpening
- Forbidden Proficiencies: none
Overview: The War Wizard is skilled in both magical and military arts, making him an extremely formidable opponent. They can come from aggressive, warmongering cultures bent on the conquest of weaker nations, or from cultures continually under siege from their more warlike neighbors, making military preparedness vital to their defense. In any case, the Militant Wizard considers a trained body as important as a trained mind, and prides himself on keeping his combat skills as sharp as his magical talents.
Description: Most cultures have uniforms for their War Wizards. Whether it is a military dress suit (complete with medals and epaulets), camouflaged combat fatigues, or a specially tailored robe emblazoned with his homeland’s heraldry, the War Wizard takes pride in his position and will seldom wear anything else. Despite their combat training, War Wizards never wear armor, as it interferes with their spellcasting.
Role-Playing: War Wizards are among the most honored and respected citizens in their societies, since their powerful magic makes them exceptionally able soldiers. War Wizards defend their society from all threats and dangers, using magic and muscle to keep those they have sworn to protect from harm. Depending on his background, the War Wizard may be a brutal, savage killer, wallowing in the violence of the battlefield, or he may be a heroic warrior, fighting with honor and taking lives only when necessary.
A War Wizard might have a variety of reasons for joining an adventuring party. Perhaps he shares the party’s goal of defeating a force of evil, or he might be seeking treasure to finance his own army at home. He might wish to study the fighting techniques of other cultures, or he might hire on as a mercenary.
Whatever his reasons, the War Wizard’s fighting skills should greatly benefit any party. He makes an excellent leader, but he is also capable of following orders to the letter, assuming the orders are issued by a commander he respects. The War Wizard tends to prefer action to inaction and combat to negotiation. He is skeptical of scholarly and philosophic types, and is unlikely to form close relationships with such characters.
- At 1st level, the War Wizard may select a “weapon of choice” from among those he is proficient with. He gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls with this weapon, cumulative with all other applicable bonuses.
- At 3rd level, the War Wizard’s unit provides him with a magical +1 version of his weapon of choice. At 5th level, this is replaced by a +3 weapon. In addition to its weapon bonus, this magical weapon ties the War Wizard to his unit. The weapon tingles to inform him when his services are needed and points the direction to the nearest commanding officer of his unit.
- The War Wizard gains the Signature Spell proficiency as a bonus proficiency at 4th level, and every four levels thereafter. This selected spell is usually a large-scale, offensive spell or it may be a handy defensive spell. Only rarely are they personal in scope and, even then, it must have some applicability to a larger party. The spell can be of any level the War Wizard can cast at the time he gains the proficiency.
- Because a War Wizard devotes so much of his time and energy to the mastery of military skills, a War Wizard may never cast spells of 8th or 9th level.
- Because they are still primarily wizards, War Wizards may never wear armor of any kind other than Elven Chainmail, regardless of their other class(es).
- The War Wizard is always a member of a formal military unit and is subject to the demands of that unit. She must always comply with a summons from her unit (typically transmitted by means of her chosen weapon or a sending spell) and with any other demands or lose the kit’s special benefits. The unit will typically take up about one month per year of the War Wizard’s time.
Return to Wizard Kits